Sunday, December 31, 2023

The John Proctor Sundial of 1644

Photograph Courtesy of the Peabody Essex Museum



























In May 1907, the Essex Institute of Salem, Massachusetts
reported that they had received a sundial as a gift from Abel
Proctor, formerly belonging to one of his ancestors, John
Proctor, the witchcraft victim (Salem Witchcraft Trials, 1692).  
This is an example of one of the earliest known American
sundials.

John Proctor lived with his wife Elizabeth in what is now Peabody, 
Massachusetts. They were respected farmers and keepers of a 
tavern. Mary Warren, one of the "afflicted girls" of Salem Village 
was a servant in the Proctor household. Early in 1692, Proctor 
had been an outspoken critic of the witchcraft proceedings and 
of the antics of the Village girls. He and his wife were accused of 
witchcraft and sent to prison. Both were convicted of witchcraft, 
and John was hanged on August 19. Elizabeth, who was found to 
be pregnant, was spared execution and outlived the 1692 hysteria. 
The story of the Proctors was later made famous by Arthur Miller in 
his play "The Crucible."

The "Proctor" sundial is 12 inches to the side, and the gnomon 
reaches 6 inches above the dial at its highest point.  It is inscribed 
with the date "1644".

In 1995 I decided to make a reproduction of this sundial with some 
notable changes.  First, since I had every intention of using the 
sundial and I wanted to use it in a vertical position, I reversed the 
order of the numerals, with progressing time going from the right 
side counterclockwise to the left.  Next, I decided to make a more 
elaborate gnomon.  The final change that I made was I adjusted the 
spacing of the hour marks for the latitude where it was intended to 
be used.  I also did not puncture the surface for the mounting rivets. 

The image below is the reproduction Proctor Sun Dial that I made. 
It is in my garden.









No comments:

Post a Comment