Saturday, July 25, 2009

Terracotta Plaque of Joseph Priestley by P. Bemi

I was looking for the Thomas Halliday medal of Priestley that I had blogged about earlier, when I came across this plaque which is located at the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. It is 11.1 cm long and 8.8 cm wide. It was engraved by P. Bemi for Josiah Wedgwood sometime between 1780 and 1790. I purchased one like this a few years ago. Mine is made of terracotta. I would suspect that if it was produced by Wedgwood it would be some ceramic material like this.  

The coloration of mine is just as seen in this picture. Curiously, the attribution at the Museum says that it is made of metal of probable French origin. I have my doubts about that. The reverse side is marked identically in both with the names "Dr. Priestley" and "P Bemi".

No comments:

Post a Comment