Thursday, January 22, 2015

Joseph Priestley, the Discoverer of Oxygen




Joseph Priestley, the Discoverer of Oxygen, 1912


Ernest Board, British (1877 - 1934)
Wellcome Library (Wellcome Trust) - London 
Painting - oil on canvas
Height: 61.5 cm (24.21 in.), Width: 91 cm (35.83 in.) 
I just found this painting by Ernest Board of Joseph Priestley. I had not run across it before and I wanted to share it with my readers. It is relatively modern painting of him. Ernest Board was a distinuished British painter of historical subjects and portraits; mural decorator. Born at Worcester, 1877 and was educated in Bristol. Studied art at the Royal College of Art, at the Royal Academy Schools, and later in the studio of Edwin Austin Abbey. Exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1902.  Died on 26th October 1934 aged 57.  Board was a member of the Royal Institute of Oil Painters (R.O.I.) and the Royal West of England Academy (R.W.A.).




No comments:

Post a Comment